Saturday, March 20, 2010

Welcome to the Lazy Q Ranch!







Howdy boys and girls! Welcome to Suzie's new blog, all about the life of a girl who planned something different, then woke up one day the proud owner of 5 unimproved acres and a 'tear-down with potential' as my sister-in-law kindly put it. I've found myself enjoying reading other peoples blogs lately, so I thought and thought about it, and now I'm taking the plunge and starting my own!

But before we get blogging, I suppose you'd like to know a little about me and how I got here. Have you ever found yourself thinking on your life and realizing that it in no way resembles the life you thought you'd have? Well, that's me. I'm not quite sure how I got here, and I'm not sure that this is where I want to stay, but I figure that I'll do the best I can to make a good life of it, and hopefully figure out what I want to be when I grow up while I'm here.

Being the youngest of 5 kids in a rowdy and raucous family generally leads one to believe that one will end up doing more of the same, right? I sure did. Although my parents raised me to work hard and to value education, I never really thought that I would need either, since I would meet my future husband in college, get married and be a mom. But it turns out thats not what happened. I did meet a guy in college, and I did think he was THE ONE. But he wasn't, and thank goodness I found out sooner rather than later.

So I fell into an accidental career and time flew by while I was working and living and having a good time. And one day a few years back, I realized that I was looking straight down the barrel of my 35th birthday and what did I have to show for it? I wouldn't say nothing, because I have a wonderful family and a few really incredible friends. But most of my family had moved away from the coastal town in Northern California where we grew up, I'd gone as far as I wanted to go at my job, and my friends were all settling down and having kids. I decided that THAT was the year I was going to do it! I was going to sell my house (in 2007, great timing, right?) and move to the town in Southern Oregon where my sister Katy lives. I'd been coming up here on vacations for years, and loving every minute of it, and I'd been saying for the longest time that someday I was going to move here. So I did. I called up my realtor, painted the bedroom and put the house on the market. Lucky for me I had a cute little (tiny) house that someone fell in love with only eight weeks after I'd listed it. Blink a few times, escrow is closed, and I'm driving north on Interstate 5 with the last truckload of my stuff and a cab full of yeowling cats. I spent a year living in a rental and looking for the perfect property for me, and when I found it, I just knew! I kept looking for another 6 months to be sure, but when I couldn't wait anymore I took my life savings and put it down on a house on 5 acres in the country, 10 minutes from my sisters farm and less than one mile from the Rogue River.

It's been just over a year now since I bought this little place, and in that year every day has had it's adventures. So in the interest of entertaining my friends back home with mental pictures of me driving a tractor and in the interest of making NEW friends out there, I present you with my stories; the stories of Life on the Lazy Q Ranch.

1 comment: